now that the dahlias have had their day and have all been dug up and packaged away for the winter,
here's a picture chronicle.
the kids helped to refresh the holes we dug out of the stony beds last year by fluffing them up, removing the stones that grew over the winter (they do that, you know),
added bone meal (which the coyotes love, i discovered), composted manure,
and then we laid the plastic weed cover.
when it was finally warm enough to plant the tubers, i lined up them up on trays.
each tray represented a row in the garden, and each row had a predominant color designation.
then i made lists for reference.
they started growing, and the groundhogs discovered the yumminess of the new growth.
i bought plastic wash baskets to cover the ones they found especially enticing.
when finally the flowers bloomed, it was Wonderful!